Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Paranoid Cinema: The Invitation (2015)



I just watched Karyn Kusama's the Invitation (2015) and was both entertained and stressed.  The film is best viewed if one knows very little about the plot so let's just say it's about some people that get invited to a dinner party in LA.  Of course, it is a thriller, so there is obviously more to it than that.

It reminded me of a few other dinner party films: the Dogme '95 film the Celebration (1998) directed by Thomas Vinterberg, Jean Renoir's The Rules of the Game (1939) and the contemporary film The Perfect Host (2010).

This film is of course completely original, but definitely fits into the dinner-party-psychodrama category with the above mentioned.  What impressed me about the Invitation was also the balance between intense interpersonal drama and tense psychological mind games.  I give it 8/10.

I would put the trailer, but I actually recommend you don't watch it before you see the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment